[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: some questions about SHTTP

#OK, suppose one wants to ship a secure WWW client that has PGP support, and
#we want to do it using the existing commercial version of PGP from ViaCrypt.
#The going price for commercially licensed WWW clients varies, but is no
#higher than about $40 and ours is closer to about $10.  How much will that
#price have to go up for including PGP support, and how does that compare with
#the price increase involved with including something else, like RSA's security
#libraries?

Do you mean the price increase due to your (i.e. vendor) support,  or
due to PGP licensing through ViaCrypt?   If the former, you'll have
to decide.  If the latter, in a recent electronic conversation with
Zimmermann, he told me that PGP 3.0 was rewritten from scratch and would
not require ViaCrypt to be in the loop any longer.  That doesn't
answer your question, but maybe Zimmermann can.

---
Larry J. Hughes, Jr.    hughes@indiana.edu
Indiana University      http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~hughes

Follow-Ups: References: